I started working on this post only a week behind, and not that Tuesday has come back around again and I have not yet even finished this post, I decided I better get to work on it already. Sorry, I guess I haven't put blogging too high on my priority list now that school is out.
After Jordan received his diploma, we left him at the graduation to receive a ride home with Austin, since we had to rush off to Kelsey's.
Kelsey's school decided to split their ceremony into two parts: 1. An awards ceremony where Kelsey received her Life Skills award, Accelerated Reading award, and The Presidential Academic award.
After the awards were handed out, we began the fifth grade culmination ceremony. Kelsey's essay about her memories at White Oak was chosen to be read. She did a great job with her speech and it was fun to reminisce with her about her time at White Oak. ( I will include a copy of her speech at the end of this post, if you would like to read it)
Of course I had to take pictures of Kelsey with us and one with her BFF, Amelia, who graduated with her and will be moving onto Middle school as well.
After much excitement having the school year come to an end with two great graduates, and way to much sun shine for any two parents to endure, we headed off to the PTA sponsored celebration at Souplantation. A very busy and fulfilling day!
My White Oak Memories
By Kelsey Newberry
I have spent many years at White Oak and I have many memories here. These are some of them:
Some of my fondest memories are in kindergarten, where it all began. My teacher, Mrs. Friedrich, was a great musician. She taught us so many songs; in fact I still have my binder that we kept a copy of each of our songs in.
While in kindergarten, I went on a lot of field trips. My favorite one was the trip to Build-A- Bear Workshop, where I got to create my bear, wash it, and get clothes for it. A few days after that trip, we brought our bears with us to school for a teddy bear picnic. Mrs. Friedrich made our bears a scarf for a present.
I was really sad when I had to leave for summer vacation. I even cried on the last day of school because I wanted to keep going to school through the summer.
When summer ended, I got Mrs. Slatten for first grade. I remember we made a big mural for our classroom. I made fish that went in the pond in our mural. We had centers that we would rotate around in. My favorite center was the post office. We each had our own mailbox. We would write letters and get fake money, and then go to the post office to buy a stamp and get it mailed. Then came summer and my first grade adventures were over.
For second grade, I was so excited to get Mrs. Doctrow and Dowling for my teachers. My older brother, Jordan, had been in their class and I knew they would be a lot of fun. We did a lot of crafts in second grade and I loved when Mrs. Pickett would come into our class and read to us. For Christmas, we made a candy train with a sugar cube Christmas tree behind it. We also did a dinosaur dig where we dug for fake dinosaur bones in the sand and then had to put the dinosaur together that we dug up. We also went on one field trip to the Chinese acrobats. My mom couldn't come, so Mrs. Pickett took her place. They did a lot of amazing tricks.
Mrs. Dinkel was my teacher for third grade. She had been working here since my mom went to White Oak. Mrs. Dinkel taught me my favorite P.E. game called kickball basketball. We went on a field trip to Strathern Historical Park. There we learned about the Indians and the settlers who came to Simi Valley. I liked the way Mrs. Dinkel always gave us free time in her class to draw, read, and play games with our friends.
Then came Mrs.Kane, my fourth grade teacher. In Mrs. Kane’s class we had table names that had a theme each month. I liked picking out the names and drawing the pictures. We took one field trip to the San Fernando Mission were we learned more about life in the mission and the mission it’s self.
My last, but not least, year at White Oak I have Mrs. Martin for fifth grade. I had a lot of fun this year. We had a money program where we had jobs and got paid for our attendance and homework. This helped us learn to not spend all our money on stuff when we need to pay rent and taxes. We went on two field trips. First we went to the Ronald Regan Library and second, when we went to the Floating Lab. The Floating Lab was my favorite so I’ll talk about that. We went dolphin and sea lion watching. We also learned about the sea creatures and ate mud!
I will miss White Oak a lot. I hope I make lots of great memories in middle school.
By Kelsey Newberry
I have spent many years at White Oak and I have many memories here. These are some of them:
Some of my fondest memories are in kindergarten, where it all began. My teacher, Mrs. Friedrich, was a great musician. She taught us so many songs; in fact I still have my binder that we kept a copy of each of our songs in.
While in kindergarten, I went on a lot of field trips. My favorite one was the trip to Build-A- Bear Workshop, where I got to create my bear, wash it, and get clothes for it. A few days after that trip, we brought our bears with us to school for a teddy bear picnic. Mrs. Friedrich made our bears a scarf for a present.
I was really sad when I had to leave for summer vacation. I even cried on the last day of school because I wanted to keep going to school through the summer.
When summer ended, I got Mrs. Slatten for first grade. I remember we made a big mural for our classroom. I made fish that went in the pond in our mural. We had centers that we would rotate around in. My favorite center was the post office. We each had our own mailbox. We would write letters and get fake money, and then go to the post office to buy a stamp and get it mailed. Then came summer and my first grade adventures were over.
For second grade, I was so excited to get Mrs. Doctrow and Dowling for my teachers. My older brother, Jordan, had been in their class and I knew they would be a lot of fun. We did a lot of crafts in second grade and I loved when Mrs. Pickett would come into our class and read to us. For Christmas, we made a candy train with a sugar cube Christmas tree behind it. We also did a dinosaur dig where we dug for fake dinosaur bones in the sand and then had to put the dinosaur together that we dug up. We also went on one field trip to the Chinese acrobats. My mom couldn't come, so Mrs. Pickett took her place. They did a lot of amazing tricks.
Mrs. Dinkel was my teacher for third grade. She had been working here since my mom went to White Oak. Mrs. Dinkel taught me my favorite P.E. game called kickball basketball. We went on a field trip to Strathern Historical Park. There we learned about the Indians and the settlers who came to Simi Valley. I liked the way Mrs. Dinkel always gave us free time in her class to draw, read, and play games with our friends.
Then came Mrs.Kane, my fourth grade teacher. In Mrs. Kane’s class we had table names that had a theme each month. I liked picking out the names and drawing the pictures. We took one field trip to the San Fernando Mission were we learned more about life in the mission and the mission it’s self.
My last, but not least, year at White Oak I have Mrs. Martin for fifth grade. I had a lot of fun this year. We had a money program where we had jobs and got paid for our attendance and homework. This helped us learn to not spend all our money on stuff when we need to pay rent and taxes. We went on two field trips. First we went to the Ronald Regan Library and second, when we went to the Floating Lab. The Floating Lab was my favorite so I’ll talk about that. We went dolphin and sea lion watching. We also learned about the sea creatures and ate mud!
I will miss White Oak a lot. I hope I make lots of great memories in middle school.
1 comment:
CONGRATULATIONS to the graduates! They both look tooooo grown up. Loved Kelsey's dress and wow what a sweet speech!
Wish we were there more often.
Post a Comment