Thursday, July 1, 2010

Treking along

Allen and I were asked to be "Ma and Pa" at the stake youth conference trek this year. I was really excited about this trip. I had only done one small trek with my stake a few years ago as a family and loved it! This one was going to be a little more true to life experiences with the youth in the mountains of CA.

We were supposed to represent a pioneer on the trek which was a huge blessing for me. I learned that all my great great grandparents on my moms side crossed the plains. I loved reading over some of their stories and learning more about the amazing people that helped me be the person I am today!
Here is my little "trek family". They were a great group of kids! They worked hard and didn't complain. Our boys were so gung -ho that they pushed us along at quite a rapid place. (On the first day, we were the last group to start. We ended the day the first group back) Jake Wright and Kasey Kastler were our youth leaders and they did a great job with devotionals and taking charge.


Our family was able to join forces with the Greenall's family for meals and camping, which was a great blessing. It was great to be ccombined with a family we already work well with! Our two groups really meshed well. This is my favorite picture of Ma and Pa Greenall :) They are so fun!







Fun and games during Friday's lunch break. I love the look on Trevor's face while jumping and President Murphy was quite an impressive jumper as well!





The trek paths were pretty tough at parts, which gave us a better appreciation of what the pioneers of old went through long ago. On one such tough run in sandy soil uphill, the boys of my family were so ambitious that they ran the corner of the front pushing bar full speed into a tree and broke our handcart. The sound of the break was pretty impressive. Ours is the only group who managed to break a cart.... I am so proud :)

1 comment:

Lila said...

i'm so jealous of this activity. its nice to have such a large body of members near to get this type of thing together. the pictures look great!