Sunday, March 6, 2011

Update on Me

I tend to update mostly on what my kids are doing or what we have done as a family, so today it is a chance to catch you up to speed with what I have been up to.
I started working at our family business back in December (I think, or maybe the end of November). I only work Monday-Wednesday from about 10-2:30(that is when we don't have days off school, field trips, etc. to get in the way) . It feels great to be helpful and do a job other than housework. I am enjoying making some extra spending money that I can use for whatever I want without feeling guilty, or just save it for upcoming expenses such as college and missions. It is amazing how fast time is marching on and how quickly we will need that extra money each month for those big, life-changing events. Just the cost of high school sports and orchestra are enough to make one feel like they need to pick up a job to help pay for such things. :)

I enjoy working with my family and in particular, working in the same office as my sister. It's been great to gab the day away and stay caught up on each other's lives. It is also great to have her there in the event of a meltdown like I experienced last week. I had company in town, I had taken off enough days in the last few weeks for days off school and field trips to cause me to get behind on work, I had a baseball banner to finish, and was facing surgery on Friday (which was rescheduled from 5:30 pm. to 9am, making me loose one all important day of productivity and the banner was due on Saturday). My sister stepped in and knew right what to say to bring me out of my stressed out self and plant my feet back on solid ground.

I am sure after saying the word surgery, I better follow up on that next. I chose to have Lasik surgery on my eyes to correct my vision. NO MORE GLASSES FOR ME!!! So far, everything looks great and my eyes are healing nicely. I was able to keep my eyes closed for about 10 hours straight following my surgery, which helped a lot in the healing process. My eyes are sensitive to any kind of breeze and dry out easily if I have them open too much, but I am just taking it easy and giving my self lots of time to listen to a book on Allen's IPod while closing my eyes.


Back on the subject of work, I joined the work force just in time! Allen and I are going to be working at a trade show in London, England the first part of May. I am so excited and have always wanted to go to England! To be able to be paid to go is just amazing! Allen and I are taking advantage of the free airline trip there and back and spending extra time in both Paris and Rome while my fabulous father in law is going to take care of my kids!!! I also just got news that the next trade show will be in Miami Beach in October. (Laura, will you still be in Florida in October?) So far, this going back to work plan sure has paid off!
I volunteered to make Jayden's baseball banner again this year and won 3rd place in the homemade banner competition. I think we won frozen yogurt certificates for all the boys, but I didn't see the prize in person. I owe a great deal of thanks for my friends who helped hand stitch the boys named on the stars! I am actually quite fast at stitching names since I had so much practice on this banner!




In case you are interested; here are the 1st (Dodger) and 2nd place winners:




Well, that's about all my eyes can handle right now, so all other updates will have to come at a later date.

1 comment:

Laura said...

sounds like you are busy as usual! i'm jealous of your eye surgery! i'm glad you're healing well. we will be moving in july, so we won't be here in october. major bummer! but at least we'll be on the west coast then, so maybe we'll have a chance to visit now and then?