Sunday, March 8, 2009

Baseball Opening Day




Saturday was opening day, which spurred on the 100% completion of yet another project: The team banner. I think it turned out pretty cute, especially since it is the first one I've ever made!

I had some great helpers that need to be acknowledged, though. My mom was a huge help using her rotary cutter to help me get the banner nice and straight. ( along with other helpful things I am not too skilled with that particular tool, so I was grateful she is! I also paid Vicky to stitch all the boys and coaches names onto the balls and bats. They look great and glad I didn't have to try and get them on with puffy paint!

The only thing I wanted to do, but decided maybe it would be too much work, was to add white squares behind the black diamonds that go down the edge of the banner. I think it would have made the diamonds show up more and maybe lighten the whole banner. It is a little too dark since the team colors are pretty dark. Oh ya, and it would have been nice if I had been able to make the bats out of wood printed felt, but I'm not too sure if I would have found that?

My favorite part of the banner, besides the stitching on the baseballs, is the 3-D effect. I am not sure if that comes through in the picture, or not. The kids really got excited about that part, too, which made me happy.

The parents and coaches on our team sure made me feel good about the banner. They were so excited thinking we were going to win one of the prizes for the homemade banner competition. All their praises had me hopeful, but no such luck. There was an amazing hand painted banner that took first place. With only two more spots open here are the remaining winners:


Oh ya, and in case you didn't see it, I also added a slide show of some resent pictures of the kids in the post before this.

Well, I'm off to bed. I have a big day at Disneyland tomorrow for Kelsey's birthday!

4 comments:

Michelle Williams said...

I love your banner, GREAT job!! But then I'm a sucker for red, LOL.

Laura said...

i would have voted for your banner, for sure. good job! have fun at disneyland. happy birthday, kelsey!

D said...

Wow! That is one tough competition! Your banner is amazing and I think it holds up very well to the competition (I like yours better than the other two). That hand painted banner is ridiculous(I mean that positively -it's gorgeous)! We will definitely have to make it out to a game this season.

Jenni said...

I think your banner is great. There is big business in banner making. The same thing happened in soccer. I'd say the winner was definitely done by one of those companies.