Thursday, October 9, 2008

My horrific day

Yesterday started off quite well. My sister talked me into joining facebook and I was amazed at how quickly I was able to connect with old friends and family members. I got some laundry and house cleaning done... All in all the day was quite normal, until....

I received a phone call from Jordan's school just after I got home from picking up Jayden and Kelsey. They were wondering if Jordan was home. I told them that I was expecting him in about five minutes with carpool. They let me know that would not be happening because my friend was in the office saying Jordan didn't show up for carpool. I suggested they check his english class because he had told me he was going to talk to his teacher after school. They told me that teacher had gone home already.

To shorten the story a little, I drove over to the school thinking that he will probably be found before I even get there. My heart sunk a little when I arrive to see Jordan's friends still searching the school grounds. I was met by administrator who were asking various questions about him possibly being at a friends house, etc.

I know my son. He is a responsible rule following sort of a kid. I let the staff know that there is no possible way Jordan had decided to go to a friends house. Plus, his best friends were all looking for him around the school grounds.

By this time, school had already been out for an hour and the police had been called. I suggested we walk over to the band room to see if he picked up his violin thinking if it was still there, we need to start opening every door in the school to search for him. It was not there, he had picked it up. I am now in feeling total panic. I was asked to go back to the office to just wait for the police that still weren't there after calling about a half hour earlier.

I decided it was time to enlist the help of family and get them out searching for him from their cars. I called my mom and lost it! She couldn't understand what I was saying because my panic set in trying to verbalize what I needed her to do. She heard Jordan is missing, something about the police and couldn't understand that I was trying to ask her to come help look for him. I finally took a deep breath and said,"just come to the school, I need you." Hoping she would start a phone tree to enlarge the search.

Allen was on his way home from work to help search, a teacher friend at school had called his wife to drive the neighborhood nearby and we still were waiting for the police.

I couldn't go into the office and just do nothing, so I started calling friends that have kids that go to our school to see if they had seen Jordan. I called one neighbor and had her go talk to the others while I called more people. I was terrified!

The police finally came and we started walking towards the Principal's office to write up a missing persons report when my mom called. She found Jordan! What a relief, so glad I had called her!

So here is his side of the story. He had gone with a friend to PE after school to help him talk to their PE teacher about an issue his friend had had at school. They parted ways. He picked up his violin and attempted to go to english to talk to his teacher and she was leaving for a doctor's appointment. He then headed towards the front of the school. Knowing that he was later than normal, he paused at the parking lot to see if car pool had moved to that spot. He didn't see my friend's car, so he left school grounds to cross the street and go to his normal carpool pick-up spot. No one was there and after waiting a moment, he figured they had left with out him since he was late.

He went back across the street and was about to go back down the stairs to the school when a yard duty stopped him. She told him that once you leave school, you cannot reenter! He told her is car pool had left and he needed to call home. She still wouldn't let him in, so he walked the five miles home.

I am so grateful that he was found safe and sound! I am sure he had angels watching over him as he walked all that way! I just need to figure out how to rid my body of all the stress and anxiety I suffered during the time he was missing.

5 comments:

D said...

Punk yard duty! Poor Jordan must have been pretty stressed out by all of it too. I'm so glad he arrived home safe and sound. I guess there maybe is a good reason for kids his age to have a cell phone. Or at least a gps tracker of some kind. With Jordan it would have to be embedded under the skin or it would get lost. :)

Lila said...

ahhh! how stressssssfulllll! i'm glad that is over. i am assuming the "punk" yard duty (good one 'd') will get a piece of your mind or the principles. xoxo. so good to reconnect!

Michelle Williams said...

Yowza, scary afternoon!! Way to ruin a good day yard duty punk! Sorry you both had such a hard time. You did learn Jordan can take care of himself though and that your trust in him is well placed!! A little silver lining. :)

Judy Andreason said...

Wow, what a week you have had with Jordan and the dog. Thanks goodness Jordan is OK and he is a responsible young man. Tell him grandma loves him.
Judy

Poppy said...

I am so sorry! I've only lost a kid for a few moments and got almost to the hysterical part, I can't imagine the anguish of more than that. I'm glad that he was safe...did the yard duty get in trouble???