Friday, September 26, 2008

My dark cloud had a silver lining.

On Sunday, Jayden was given a jolly rancher by a man in our ward that he likes to call, "the candy man". Normally this would not be an issue, however, Jayden decided to bite the jolly rancher and broke a molar. Luckily, he wasn't in any immediate pain due to the brake, so we were able to take him to the dentist Monday instead of paying for emergency dental care.



On Monday, we learned that one of the reasons that Jayden's tooth broke, was because his six year molar had compromised the root system of the tooth that broke. That tooth had barely any root left to hold it into place, so it had to be pulled. With nitric oxide and shots to numb the area, the dentist remove his tooth. He now has mirror image teeth missing in his upper jaw. The tooth on the other side had the six year molar grow right into the core of that molar and the dentist feared he would get a bad infection if that tooth wasn't pulled.



After getting his tooth pulled, I told Jayden, "that was a very expensive piece of candy."



To which he said, "No it wasn't. It didn't cost you anything, the candy man bought it!"



I then showed him the $189 bill to have his tooth removed and reaffirmed that it was indeed a VERY expensive piece of candy.


Jayden was given a "prescription" for a free frozen yogurt at the Golden Spoon located near first street. He was talking about how weird his face felt when he moved his mouth in various ways. I was trying to explain to him how the numbness in his face caused him to smile different. He didn't quite understand what I was trying to say, so I used my cell phone to snap a photo of him in the yogurt store to show him what his face looked like. We had a good laugh at this picture and since this picture cracks me up, I thought it would you as well.



After leaving the yogurt store, we had some time to kill and I decided to treat him to a couple rounds at the batting cages. I figured I might as well let him have fun since he was still too numb to go back to school. Jayden had a great time until the pitching machine malfunctioned and sent a softball at his hands. His finger ended up cut a little bit due to the impact. Poor little guy had quite a black cloud over him that day! The impact earned him an extra token for another round of hitting which helped to ease the pain.

After leaving the batting cages, I have about a half an hour to kill before I had to pick Kelsey up from school. I always enjoy looking at second hand stores and hadn't been in one for a while and decided to hit the store close to the batting cages.

This is when the silver lining shone through the dark cloud of a day we had. Besides the extra one on one time I was able to spend with Jayden, I was able to find a treasure at the store! I was so excited when I saw it through the store window. I have been shopping for a headboard for a while and there was one at the second hand store very similar to one I almost bought months prior for ten times the price. I LOVE my new headboard and I would have never found it if Jayden hadn't broken his tooth. So, the moral of the story is that positive/good things usually come out of negative experiences.

I had planned to post this e-mail on Tuesday after my brother so kindly delivered my treasure to my house and helped my install it, but I wanted to post the picture after I got new bedding. My bedding wasn't made from very good quality fabric and had started to rip in numerous places.

Now with a new headboard in place, I was very driven to find new bedding to transform my room. After searching every store in town that sells bedding sets, I about gave up and posted the picture with my old, nasty bedding. I decided to give it one last ditch effort since I knew that Linens and things was having a big going out of business sale. I luckily found the set I was looking for and can now revel my bedroom to you: (yes, Tami and Kristy, you actually get to see MY ROOM!)

So, there it is, my headboard and bedding, both of which I love. Now all I have to do is treasure hunt to try and find dressers to "match" and paint my walls and window casings. (Ok, and maybe eventually replace the Burgundy carpeting, but I am afraid that will have to be a much later project.)

6 comments:

Michelle Williams said...

Haha! Jaden looks cute even with a strange half smile.

I remember being frozen like that and when I said a word with an S or F or Wh, I made an unintentional rasberry sound! My lips just vibrated on one side. So being a young teen I packed every sentance I could with those sounds!!

Anonymous said...

I love your new headboard and bedding set! Sometimes our kids have to take the fall to really bring us the blessings we need. lol I'll expect to see your room in person next time I'm in town! :O

Poppy said...

I love treasure hunting! Poor Jaden! I hate to go to the dentist...but I hate more paying for the dentist!

Vicky said...

Wow! Love the new bedding. Guess all's well...

Sorry about Jayden's teeth. He really knows how to get extra attention. Glad he survived mostly intact. Love his goofy smile with and without the numbness.

Thanks for sharing.

Michael Earl said...

I love Jayden's new smile, it's really amazing what a dentist and about $200 can do!

Laura said...

love your new room! your house is just getting better and better every time i see it....