Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Getting into the Holiday Spirit

The Holiday cheer has started early this year, and I was ready for it! I started feeling the urge to put up my Christmas decorations about a week before Thanksgiving, but since I was hosting (Plasters, Wheelers, and my parents came) I didn't think my guests would appreciate a Christmas tree for Thanksgiving dinner. So, I patiently waited and got the decorations out the day after.

I still feel a twinge of happiness every morning when I go downstairs and see my decorations. Here are a few of my favorites (including a new beach inspired Santa I found):


This weekend also helped launch the holiday season. After tae kwon do on Friday, the kids and I rushed off to the stake center to attend the Simi Community Christmas and creche display to watch many of my achievement day girls singing in the choir. Kelsey was particularly excited I had decided to attend, because she wanted to be there to cheer on her friends who were singing.

The kids did an amazing job with their songs and their angelic voices sure helped the spirit flood into the room. We also heard a bell choir, a soloist, and an amazing jazz singer. The creche display did not disappoint as well. I was pleasantly surprised how much my kids enjoyed the displays. Each one of them really studied the displayed nativity scenes and each would come grab me and pull me to a "must see" nativity set. There was an amazing diverse display, many having historically significant stories to go with them that were interesting to learn.

Saturday morning, we had a Ward Christmas breakfast. I must admit, I thought that was a pretty unique idea. I am still not sure why they decided to do a breakfast instead of a dinner, but it turned out very nice. The food was great, and the program helped remind us all what Christmas is truly about.....the Savior. Santa Clause then joined us, wearing his very best jacket. His cloths were beautiful, but his message was even better. Before he sat with the kids, he spoke to us all about the true meaning of Christmas and explained some of the meanings of the symbols of Christmas. I even got photos of all three of my kids and my mom with Santa this year!


Following the breakfast, we headed home, knowing that the power was scheduled to be out most of the day. After reminding my family that the lawn mower was gas powered, we headed to the backyard for a family clean up. It was great to work together to get a lot accomplished. My only wish was that the recent visit with Santa would remind the youngest two not to pout and whine about having to to yard work! The job got done none the less and the power returned in the afternoon.

With yard work done, I could continue my decorating, so I put up my lighted garland on my front porch. I just love the traditional look it gives my house to have the garland and red bows.

Sunday was a busy church day for Allen, but I was able to steel a few minutes of his time to take some family photos to use for a Christmas card. It didn't take Allen long to get sick of smiling for photos, so he decided to be silly. I warned him that those photos would be shared if he chose to continue, so here are a few gems:

Unfortunately, these were the best photos of Jayden and didn't get a photo that I deemed worthy of a Christmas card. (There were some real gems of Jayden in this batch of pictures!) I don't know that I have the gumption to try again, so you may not get a card this year.

Monday brought us the long awaited grandkids Christmas party at my parents house. They have been hosting this party since Jordan was little and has grown over the years to include all 19 grandkids today. My kids always look forward to a night with their cousins full of fun, games, and a table of treats! I always look forward to this party because it is a chance for Allen and I to shop for the kids Christmas presents together. I enjoy having his input on what to get the kids!

Last night, we returned to the Simi Community Christmas display to hear more performances and watch the kids perform for the last time. I was glad I was able to see their last performance. The music was great and we enjoyed having the Fernandez family join us to watch this time.

The season has just gotten started, and I feel that it is going to be a great one! With all of the wonderful events we have already attended and many more are to come, it is beginning to look a lot like Christmas!

4 comments:

The Schurr Family said...

glad to see your Mom in one of the pictures with santa too..... is she one of your kids now too???? :)

Michelle Williams said...

Loved your decoations and what a cool Santa Suit! That is a great idea to have Santa explain the meaning of Christmas too.

I'd send the photo with Allen sticking out his tounge. It's hillarious and the rest of you look good! I'd love to recieve it!

Laura said...

makes me miss you guys!

Judy Andreason said...

I love the pictures. I agree with Michelle, you should send the one of Allen sticking out his tongue. Love your decorations too.