We had some crazy, very cold weather this week. The crazy part is that it was in the high 80's just a week before. So, Wednesday, when I returned home from a shopping trip with Paula, it was raining pretty hard outside and the temperature read 38 degrees. I got so excited that we might just see it snow here again! The kids and I were hoping the temperature would drop down a few more degrees so that it would snow instead of rain.
Well, my wish didn't exactly come true :( However, the next morning as we were walking to school, we spied some snow on the hill over top of the freeway. The kids were very excited about that sight. That is something that I have never seen in all my years in this city. My neighbor even went over the hill into the next city where the snow was down into the neighborhood on the hill. She said her son, Diego, was able to go play a little in the snow. She had suggested that I take the kids after school, but I didn't think it would still be there since it was a warmer day. (on a side note, I just wish I had brought my camera with me to the school so I could have gotten a picture of the snow)

Jayden was pretty excited to have me walk to school with him that day, because this time I stayed until lunch time helping in his classroom. His teacher had asked me to be the room mom this year and I had come up with a two day craft project for the kids to do. I taught the kids how to make a wreath out of a wire coat hanger and plastic sandwich bags. It was a pretty challenging activity for the kids, but in the end, they ended up becoming expert tiers.
Friday morning, I had to take the kids to school in the car, because they were running late. We hopped in and I could not see a thing through the windshield. There was too much ice on the windshield. I proceeded to spray the windshield and turn on the wipers. This was a mistake. It ended up making the ice thicker instead of removing the ice. Needless to say, we then left for school very late because we had to wait a while for me to be able to see enough to drive.

This time, I made sure to get some pictures of the unusual local sights. Those of you in snowy areas will not be impressed, but for us, it is an out of the ordinary thing. The kids had to touch all the icy plants and loved the white look of the grass.

Friday afternoon, I headed back to Jayden's class for Mrs. Dowling's yearly Candy train project. Both Jordan and Kelsey did this project when they were in her class and now,
Jayden got his turn. He did an amazing job following direction, making sure he did not go ahead like the other children at his table. When I complemented him for waiting for his teachers instructions before moving on, you would think it was the best thing I had ever said to him. He gave me a great big hug and looked at me with his sweet, loving, sparkling expression of love. (That boy knows how to make you melt!) It was fun to see him so excited to have me with him two days in a row at school. He just ate up every minute of it! I am making sure to take advantage of that while it lasts! What a great time we had together!
4 comments:
LOL!!!!!!!!! i love your 'snow', i remember how exciting it was for that to happen. one time our family all gathered round to witness the ice that had formed on the wooden bridge that takes you to our front door. we were facinated only to continue the wonder at school when we saw all the frozen grass and plants. it was a 'winter wonderland'. lol. thank you for the laugh and memory. xoxo
merry christmas newberry's!!!
i've got enough snow here to share some with you! i think it would've been more fun to see the 'snow' in california than have to deal with the huge amounts of real snow we have here! i guess the kids are having fun, so i should be a better sport. i'm just counting down the days to florida...
Hey Karalee, I'll share some of the snow that is in my yard with you. I love those candy trains. I remember making those with Joseph when he was in elementary school.
When we have snow here it is a gift too. Schools close sometimes with just the threat of snow, haha! But I've had enough for this year! We got 12 inches all together (over a few days) and the world really STOPS when that happens here. A bit hard to go to parties and celebrations when there is ice on all the steep hills. It is snowing again today and it means I may not get to see my grandkids on Christmas day!!! Sniff, sniff, boo hoo!!! I did see them last night though and my missionary Sam is calling today, so there will be Christmas cheer here! :) MERRY CHRISTMAS to you!
Post a Comment