Thursday, August 7, 2008

Kelsey's harvest




Kelsey planted a few seeds at a mother/daughter activity our ward had and she has just gotten the first harvest of beans. I was unable to go to that activity, so she attended with my mom. We nurtured and cared for the plants here until they outgrew their tiny pots and since we were leaving for Utah, we took them to Grandma Jessop's to plant. She was able to continue to water them while we were gone and now the plants are huge! Kelsey planted beans, cucumbers, melons, and lettuce at grandma's house and it has been fun to go over and check on them periodically. Good job giving those plants such a great healthy start Kelsey! Your beans sure did taste delicious!




While on this healthy kick, a friend of mine from hula class had shared with me some recipes she uses in an all juice diet. Now I am in no wise thinking of doing that, but I am always looking for new recipes to add a healthy kick to my diet. So we stopped by Albertson's after hula class and picked up a bunch of fresh fruits and veggies to resurrect my juicer that has not been used in years. I was horrified that I spent $70 on all produce except the two gallons of milk, $1 bottle of Gatorade, and package of bagels, but it is in the name of health, so I sucked it up and looked forward to trying a recipe today.


Kelsey and Jayden were excited to see how this new contraption worked (since they don't remember ever seeing it before). Jayden was quickly turned off at the idea of drinking vegetables and I never had a chance at getting him to try a sip. Kelsey, on the other hand, was a willing participant and gave it a good try. It wasn't bad at first, but it wasn't particularly good, either. It got harder to drink after a hand full of sips, so I busted out the straws to try to down it a little faster without having to taste it too much.


The concoction seemed to bother both of our stomachs and left us both feeling a little queasy for having drunk it. The taste was hard to get out of our mouths and I think we both agree we can chalk that recipe up to: I tried it, so I don't need to do that again.

My Kelsey was a little trooper through the process and was taking little sips, not really wanting to drink anymore, but trying to be nice. She finally admitted that she didn't care for the drink, but she was actually willing to try another recipe! To reward her for her kindness, I later made a drink of apples and berries and left out the cucumber that was supposed to be added to the mix. She and I were much happier about drinking that mixture!


Not so sure we will be using that produce for too many more drinks, but for the 7o dollars I spent, we will need to make good use of them some how. Good thing those veggies and fruits taste pretty good on their own, even if they are not juiced! Here's to trying new things. (I suggest you stick with the watermelon smoothie recipe I posted yesterday. It is much tastier and you don't even have to try an chug it down to get rid of it! Sips make it last longer and that's a good thing!)


Our day recovered from our breakfast mayhem quite well. My BFF, Tami, came over to spend the day. It was great to be able to sit and gab while our kids played upstairs. Other highlights of the day were swimming, sharing a simple dinner together, and a flowbee lesson. (Flashback to the 80's when flowbees were a little more well known..... it is a hair cutting system that you hook up to the vacuum. The perks to this system are quite obvious... no more hair to itch you and make a big mess. It all gets sucked up into the vacuum.

1 comment:

Tami Sue said...

HOORAY for berry juice, Star Wars Potato Heads, diving boards and FLOWBEE parties!!! hee hee We had great day with you all.